Thank you for being interested in your child attending the Kyrene School District. We offer a kindergarten early entrance age exception for children if it is determined to be in their best interest.
Informational Meeting Dates: Parents must attend one of the these informational meetings to begin the age exception application process. No pre-registration is needed to attend these meetings. In addition to learning about how to apply for an age exception to enter kindergarten, parents will also learn what Kyrene Kindergarten looks like today.
Kindergarten Early EntranceChildren who turn five between September 1 and December 31 may apply for an age exception to enter kindergarten early. Early entrance will be approved for students who demonstrate exceptional social and emotional maturity, and whose learning needs are advanced. These students should perform similarly in respect to behavior, social, emotional, and academic skills to their older classmates in order to meet the challenges of Kyrene’s kindergarten curriculum. We will admit students early whenever we feel confident that they can be successful during the kindergarten year and move on to first grade with necessary skill, maturity, and confidence.
Parents who wish to consider applying for an age exception for their child are required to:
- submit a kindergarten interest form
- attend an informational meeting
- complete a parent checklist
- submit an admissions application
- have their child participate in a screening with a kindergarten teacher or district office administrator
Upon completion of these requirements, the District Office will notify the parent(s) of the decision to accept an age exception into kindergarten within two weeks
First Grade Early Entrance
For admission to first grade, we recommend that children be six years old before September 1 of the current school year. Children who are born between September 1 and December 31 may apply for an age exception. Procedures are as follows:
- submit a first grade Interest form
- parent/guardian will make an appointment for their child to be screened at the District Office.
- child will attend a screening with a district administrator.
- final decision will take place within two weeks after review. The district office administrator has final approval. There is no appeal process.
We look forward to providing your child(ren) with an outstanding education. If you have any question, please call Virginia Rubio (480) 541-1258.
Other early childhood programs
If early entrance is not the right option for your child, please consider Kyrene’s other early learning options:
- Kyrene Preschool
- Early Learning Centers
- Montessori Kids Club
- Bienvenidos Kids Club
Contact Community Education and Outreach at 480-541-1500 for more information.