For admission to kindergarten, your child must be five years old before September 1, 2017. For families that live within the Kyrene School District and want to register at their designated home school, go directly to the school bringing along:
• Original certified birth certificate
• Immunization record
• Proof of residency (lease or mortgage agreement, utility bill, cable bill, etc.)
For families that live within the Kyrene School District boundaries, and want to choose a different school, they must apply for Open Enrollment.
for the 2017-18 school year begins on Tuesday, January 3, 2017. For consideration, all new students must submit an application and receive a letter of acceptance prior to registration. Application is available on our web page
January 3, 2017.
• Current Open Enrollment students do not need to re-apply (fifth grade students are automatically enrolled to their elementary school’s feeder middle school).
• Students new to Kyrene, those wishing to change schools OR incoming siblings of current open enrollment students must apply.
Kyrene District Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Monday through Friday).
Important Open Enrollment policy changes
Thank you for choosing the Kyrene School District for your child’s education through our open enrollment program. As you may already know, the open enrollment program is an option for families who live within the Kyrene School District boundaries as well as those who live outside of the District’s boundaries.
Recently, the Kyrene Governing Board approved changes to the District policy JFB Open Enrollment that may affect both in-District and out-of-District open enrollment families. These changes were outlined on Pages 3 and 4 of the 2016-17 Kyrene Family Handbook that you received at the beginning of the school year. A copy of the handbook can be found on the Kyrene School District Website.
Key Changes to Kyrene’s Open Enrollment Policy
- Student acceptance in the program is for one year. Program eligibility will be reviewed annually by the District.
- Students who are suspended off campus for ten or more days will lose their open enrollment eligibility.
- Students who are excessively absent will lose their open enrollment eligibility.
Students who lose eligibility status as determined at the end of each academic year will be withdrawn from the school they are attending and may seek enrollment in their school of residency if they so choose. The District will make every effort to communicate with you in a timely manner if your child is in danger of losing his or her eligibility to participate in the open enrollment program.
We ask your support to ensure that your child’s school behavior and attendance record allow for a positive and productive academic experience
Again, thank you for educating your child at a Kyrene school. We look forward to working with all parents to ensure that students have a positive learning experience within the Kyrene District.
Jeffrey J. Peters
Director, Safe & Orderly Schools