• --Led the work on development of a non-discrimination policy for District employees
•---- --Was instrumental in the development of the Fine Arts Integration program at Paloma Elementary and Pueblo Middle School
• --Initiated the practice of placing easily identifiable numbers on each school bus, improving safety and the efficiency of students being able to identify their correct bus assignment
• --Collaborated on the planning and live broadcast of the first Kyrene interactive on-line Town Hall meeting
• --Initiated the addition of an electronic response system that allows board members to signal their wanting to speak during meetings
• --Initiated the installation of a teacher-created mural in the Governing Board meeting room
In Letters in support of her nomination were submitted by former Tempe City Council and Vice Mayor Onnie Shekerjian,, former Town of Guadalupe Mayor Rebecca Jimenez and former Kyrene Governing Board member Beth Briizel. In her nomination, Ms. Shekerjian said, "Michelle’s proven record of service and leadership during her entire two elected terms has consistently demonstrated the highest level of commitment to serving as a Governing Board member who is truly focused on working for what is best for all students in the Kyrene School District."
Ms. Jimenez said in her letter of support, " I thoroughly enjoyed my time working with Michelle, and came to know her as a truly valuable asset to any team. She is honest, dependable, and incredibly hard-working. Beyond that, she is an impressive problem solver who is always able to address complex issues with strategy and confidence. Michelle is inspired by challenges, and is driven to make education accessible and inclusive for ALL children."
And Ms. Brizel, who served on the board with Ms. Hirsch said, " Michelle was President of the Board when I first became a Board Member and was very effective in running our meetings. She made sure that all Board Members were able to ask questions and make their voices heard. My second year on the Board, I was Vice President while Michelle was President. We worked very well together."
Att Attending the award dinner in support of Ms. Hirsch were Kyrene Superintendent Dr. Jan Vesely, Governing Board President, Bernadette Coggins, Board member Ross Robb and Ms. Hirsch's husband, Paul.